Our Clients Span Multiple Industries
- Oil & Gas
- Food & Beverage
A Strong Compliance & Ethics Program Supports Clients’ Success
Engineering & Construction
Challenge: A national engineering and construction firm called on CLEAResources to develop a compliance program mandated by the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR).
Solution: We built a comprehensive program from the ground up, including risk assessment, code of conduct, policies, audit and monitoring protocols, and management of reporting mechanisms. We further ensured that compliance-related training resources targeted high-risk topics.
Results: Through increasing awareness and proactive on-site training, our efforts prevented the compliance violations at one location from happening on 26 other job sites.
Challenge: A large healthcare organization invited CLEAResources to assess the compliance and ethics program.
Solution: We delivered a report to the board of directors that mapped opportunities for maturation, uncovered gaps, and highlighted areas that were functioning at or above best practices.
Results: With this report in hand, the board was able to assign resources where they could best ensure the compliance program’s balanced growth and effectiveness.
Challenge: Corporate General Counsels are frequently the dual-hatted Chief Compliance Officers as well. This was the case at a publicly traded educational software company.
Solution: CLEAResources led the General Counsel through a three-phase process: identify gaps in compliance efforts, recognize and prioritize legal risks, and design and develop a strategic plan that assigns resources to the highest risk areas.
Results: The process maximized the company’s risk mitigation and management within its resource constraints.
Challenge: A publicly-traded telecommunications company asked CLEAResources to evaluate anti-bribery and anti-corruption efforts, including due diligence.
Solution: We evaluated the compliance and ethics program with a focus on anti-corruption risks. Recommendations included development and implementation of controls to mitigate the risks of corruption in global business dealings. We also completed a risk assessment so the client could create a risk-based approach to due diligence.
Results: The company spends less money on background checks and comprehensive due diligence reports on its tens of thousands of third party stakeholders around the world.
Challenge: Evaluate the compliance program of a major security equipment supplier to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).
Solution/Results: CLEAResources serves as the independent consultant approved by DHS to assess and provide continuous reporting on the development and progress of the supplier’s compliance program.
Are you ready to CLEAR your company?
Open Minded Approach
Because the CLEAResources team has experience with so many unique industries, our expertise isn’t limited to the industry types listed above. Are you in an industry not listed?
Amy McDougal is Founder and President of CLEAResources, LLC. Her professional passion is helping organizations do right by their shareholders, employees, clients, customers, and communities by mitigating business risks associated with ethics and compliance failures.
- Federal criminal and civil litigation.
- Advisor to executive management on personnel, compliance, and ethics matters.
- A broad roster of clients that includes privately- and publicly-held companies both large and small, commercial and federal contractors, and government agencies.
- Development, implementation, auditing, and management of all aspects of compliance and ethics programs. These include risk assessment, internal policy, employee training at all levels, code of conduct development, and monitoring and investigative protocols.
- Company compliance with relevant state and federal laws and regulations.
- Development of a simple, innovative compliance management tool that enables clients to use a single spreadsheet to monitor changing risks and plan appropriate mitigation action.
Ms. McDougal presents and authors widely on compliance and ethics topics. Recent publications include:
- “Wearing Two Hats: the Dual Roles of In-House Counsel and Compliance Officer” published in the Association of Corporate Counsel Docket and National Contract Management Association’s Contract Management magazine.
- “Should In-House Counsel be Navigating the Choppy Waters of Compliance?” published by the American Bar Association Business Law Section
- “The Role of Incentives in Compliance and Ethics Program Effectiveness” published by the Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics.
- Certified by the Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics as a Compliance and Ethics Professional (CCEP).
- Special Assistant United States Attorney and Air Force Judge Advocate (attained the rank of Major) before beginning civilian career as in-house employment law and compliance counsel.
- Served as General Counsel and Vice President of Compliance and Ethics Services at Watermark, LLC before founding CLEAResources.
- Graduate of the Johns Hopkins University Peabody Conservatory of Music. Earned a Bachelor of Music in Flute Performance.
- Holds a Doctor of Jurisprudence from Vanderbilt University School of Law. Licensed in Virginia, the District of Columbia, and Tennessee. Admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court, the United States Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces, and the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia.